The Persuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition, 1912-49
Eamon de Valera
Resources by Topic
- Home Rule to the Rise of Sinn Féin
- War of Independence, 1919-21
- Case Study: The Treaty Negotiations, Oct - Dec, 1921
- The Civil War, 1922-23
- Cumann na nGaedheal, 1922-32
- Fianna Fáil, 1932-39
- The Emergency
- Northern Ireland: The Unionists in Power, 1920-39
- Case Study: Belfast during World War II
- Case Study: The Eucharistic Congress, 1932
Some Past Exam Questions [HL]
- During the period 1912-20, what factors contributed to the partition of Ireland?
- To what extent was the Anglo-Irish Treaty, 1921, responsible for the Irish Civil War?
- Between 1922 and 1932, what steps did the Cosgrave governments take to establish the Irish Free State on firm foundations?
- What steps did Irish governments take to consolidate democracy, 1923-45?
- What were the strengths and weaknesses of Éamonn de Valera as a political leader?
- Who handled Anglo-Irish relations better, WT Cosgrave or Éamonn de Valera? Argue your case referring to both.
- How well did the Unionist Party manage the affairs of Northern Ireland, 1920-39?
- What was the impact on Northern Ireland of international developments during the period 1932-45?
- What was the significance of the Eucharistic Congress, 1932?