Government, Economy and Society in the Republic of Ireland, 1949-89
Archbishop John Charles McQuaid
Brendán Ó hEithir
Some Past Exam Questions [HL]
- How do you account for the political instability and the economic problems of the period, 1949-59?
- What were the main features of the First Programme for Economic Expansion, 1958-63, and how successful was it for the economy and society?
- How effective was Seán Lemass as Taoiseach in his management of internal and external affairs?
- How effective was Jack Lynch as Taoiseach in his management of Ireland's internal and external affairs?
- What was the impact of the EEC on Irish fisheries and/or what was the impact of television on Irish society?
- What was the contribution to Irish affairs of Charles Haughey and/or Garret Fitzgerald?
- How did Anglo-Irish relations develop during the period 1949-89?
- During the period 1949-89, what were the main developments in one or more of the following: education; health; social welfare?
- During the period 1949-89, what changes took place in education and/or attitudes towards Irish language and culture?
- What impact had one or more of the following on Irish society: Archbishop John Charles McQuaid; Gay Byrne; Brendán Ó hEithir; Mary Robinson?